Wednesday, October 24, 2007

Tabula Rasa

Ah, a new blog! It feels like being a kid with a clean, blank piece of lined (college rule) paper, a sharp pencil, on a rainy Fall Saturday. All that blank space on the page, I mean what is my blogger.com disk space limit? I could write all day every day for the rest of my life and still not fill it up I bet. Unless of course I upload some movies, but that is not the point. The point is the pure flexible potential of it all; gigabytes of potential. Terabytes of it. And that is the potential of the Internet, isn't it? All that cheap disk space, all live, accessible online. What is the price of a gig per year these days? A buck? A quarter? I bet when I was in college, there wasn't a whole gigabyte on the island of Manhattan. Now, so much space just waiting for an inspired user to hit the save button and thereby make a brilliant contribution available to the whole world.

The pre-2001 crash Internet was pure potential, with everybody trying to figure out how to monetize those eyeballs wandering across the bits and bytes stored on all that cheap disk space. Sell banners! Of course, that is how you do it. By how much did all those newly networked disk drives add to the world's inventory of advertising space? Oh what a sudden glut of space.

OK, so my blog or your blog isn't going to earn anybody a ton of money, but the potential is great, right? I just have to figure out what to say.

No comments: